Elstree is a sought-after village with a lotgoing for it. Although its leafy streets and green spaces are peaceful and serene, it’s conveniently close to the bustling capital, and all its many attractions.
While it’s true to say that Elstree has grown in the last few decades, it still retains its quintessentially cosy appeal. If you’re looking for a place with a real sense of community (without sacrificing the easy commute), this is the village for you.
Five reasons Why Elstree is so great for homebuyers
- Great transport links. Elstree is very well connected, which is impressive, given its size. Around 125 trains run each day from Elstree & Borehamwood Station to London St Pancras, with an average journey time of just 25 minutes. Both Heathrow and Gatwick Airport are within easy reach (just over an hour for the latter), and the nearby A409 connects drivers easily to the A1.
- Amazing property. Elstree’s property market, while considered prestigious, boasts something for everyone. At one end of the scale, there are sprawling mansion-style homes, with gated driveways, plenty of land, and multiple bedrooms. Alternatively, families can purchase a good-sized three-bedroomed semi-detached for far lower than Central London prices. There are also several residential blocks offering flats of a smaller size.
House prices are above the national average, but given the proximity to the capital, this isn’t surprising. Likewise, rental rates are high, which is welcome news for landlords looking for a good Return on Investment.
- Amenities. Elstree, though small, has much to offer its residents in terms of amenities. There is a local village shop providing all your essentials, alongside other village stores including a pharmacy. Borehamwood is a short drive away and provides for all your shopping needs, boasting an M&S Simply Food, Debenhams, Tesco Supermarket and lots more. There is also a library in nearby Radlett and Borehamwood.
- Excellent schools. Elstree has some fantastic educational establishments, which is great for families with children. The two highest performing schools in the area are the Haberdashers’ Aske’s Schools (one for boys, the other for girls). Both are independent schools and accept students from the age of 4/5 to 18. The highly regarded Radlett Preparatory School is a short drive away. High performing state schools in the area include Yavneh College in Borehamwood and Mill Hill County High School.
- Things to do. Elstree may be a village, but it provides plenty of things to do for both daytime and evening. The natural spaces are fantastic; such as Aldenham Country Park, which holds events throughout the year. Elstree Film Studio is also a major landmark, and The Venue (at neighbouring Borehamwood) has a swimming pool, gym facilities and plenty of fitness classes.
There are several pubs and restaurants in the vicinity, which is ideal for drinks with friends, or enjoying a meal with the family. The Waggon and Horses is a 15th century inn with a fantastic atmosphere, or alternatively, The Fishery is well known for its live music and pub quizzes. For an evening out watching a film, head to Borehamwood Reel Cinema, or if live entertainment is more your thing, the Radlett Centre is just a short drive away.